The Little Mill Blog
Soda bread Recipe
- 500g The Little Mill Plain Wholemeal Flour
- 500g Plain White Flour
- 17g (1 & 1/4 teaspoon) Bicarbonate of Soda (baking soda)
- 17g (2 & 1/2 Teaspoons) Sea Salt (can use normal salt)
- 20g (1 table spoon)Honey (optional)
- 850g Buttermilk
- Place flour in a bowl for mixing. Add the salt and sieve the baking soda onto the flours. Mix all the powders together to make sure the soda is fully dispersed.
- Add the honey and the buttermilk
- Mix using a spatula or by hand until a smooth lump free soft dough is made (porridge like consistency)
- Split the dough evenly into two greased 2Lb baking tins and pat down or spread gently to flat in the tin.
- Suggested you sprinkle some wheat or porridge flakes on top of the dough in the tins for decoration , but this is optional.
- Cut the dough down the centre the length of the tin with a knife. Suggest the knife is dipped in a little vegetable oil to make cutting smoother.
- Have the oven preheated to 175 C and place the two tins in the oven. Bake for 52-55 minutes or as required.
- Turn on onto cooling wire after baking to allow to cool.